Je suis Charlie

Je suis Charlie

Tuesday 31 May 2016

The Widow Wager - Jess Michaels ~ Book and Audio Book ~ *** ~Review in English~



I really really enjoyed listening to the audio books of 

the Relentless-Series by Karen Lynch and Witches by  Ednah Walters so I thought I might give some 

others a chance as well. One of them was one of my favorite historical romances:





 Book

Blurb:

Crispin Flynn has been on a downward spiral ever since he lost the woman he loved and watched his brother forced into a life he never would have chosen. His response has been drinking and gambling his way to utter ruin. One night, deep in his cups, he places a dangerous bet that results in him being forced to marry Gemma, the widow of the Earl of Laurelcross.
Gemma once had a passionate side, but has been hiding it ever since her much older husband died during the act of making love. Now she finds herself the much unwanted wife of one of the biggest libertines in London and the subject of even more gossip than ever.
Once they determine they cannot escape the marriage, the two begin a slow circling of each other. Passion is easy, but can they overcome mistrust and secrets in order to make the worst night of their lives one of their best? Or are they bound to lose each other before their love can take root?
This book can be read and heard as a stand-alone novel but is part of The Notorious Flynns series.


I love the historical romances by Jess Michaels, because they are well written, witty, sensual and you can find some amazing characters in them. Actually I love the whole Flynn-Family, they are loyal and protectice, fun loving and open-minded and they'd never judge a person by his or her social class. 

The book The Widow Wager finds Crispin Flynn in quite a mess - who ends up married because of a wager?!? And he doesn't just end up married but...well, that was definetely a one-of-a-kind-wedding, wasn't it? If he could remember it at least....
Gemma isn't too thrilled by finding herself wed - again. In her experience marriage is definetely not all guns and roses, on the contrary, it can be pretty nasty. 
Nevertheless the two find themselves wed and try to make the best of it and, well, the Flynns being the Flynns, making the best of love and marriage ends up being pretty good. 
Gemma is most charming, sensual and lovable and Crispin, at least when I don't feel like kicking him for making things way more complicated than necessary, is also loyal to a fault, as charming as a rogue can be and unfortunately he is also rather troubled. Now it is up to Gemma to show him that life goes on and love as well!

So, this book is one that I really like a lot which means that I've read several times already and will read numerous times again, a total five-star book. 

★★★★★


BUT -  I must admit that the audio book wasn't all those guns and roses for me either. After a while I always had to stop because the narrator was just a bit too enthusiastic and a bit too breathlessly-sighing-whatevering when I expected Gemma to be shaken and not used to being treated politely or with respact but much tougher than the feeling I got from the narrator. Soooo....this book is a bit of a stop-and-go story for me, I always have to have break after a while whereas with other audio books I sometimes find myself carrying my bluetooth box around (reminds me of those good ol' times in the age of the "ghetto-blaster" ;) ) , mobile in my pocket, not missing a single word of the story. Not in this case. I still love the story and I'll finish it but it doesn't keep me glued to this box reliving the story, dreaming of my beloved heroes and heroines.... nope. Not really bad but...well, ...the way it is told it is not entirely my cup of tea either. That makes it three stars for the audio book.

★★★

The Widow wager by Jess Michaels

Audio book




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://cupofteaandbook.blogspot.de/p/datenschutzerklarung.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google (https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=de).