Je suis Charlie

Je suis Charlie

Wednesday 29 July 2020

The Culling Trials 3 (Shadowspell Academy, #3) by K.F. Breene and Shannon Mayer


 Blurb

 You Don’t Choose The Academy. The Academy Chooses You.

The last of the Culling Trials is here. I foolishly thought I’d survived the worst.

My team is falling to pieces around me and my heart is shattered for the losses I’ve endured. But I can’t stop when I’m so close to the end. There are too many people depending on me.

I foolishly thought there wasn’t much more I could lose…until the nature of my bloodline comes to light.

I’m not what I thought I was. Not what anyone thought I was.
But to tell people the truth would be to kill us all.

To fail the trials will mean death, but to succeed might damn me for life
.



Even though I binged this whole series since yesterday and couldn't put it down, the series and especially this book left me rather unsatisfied. Yes, the story was intense and gripping but at the same time, it lacked some depth. I couldn't fully relate to the characters despite the fact that I really liked them and waited impatiently to learn more about them and to get more emotionally involved. Alas, I never did.
And then, finally, the big show-down, amazing scenes, fights, everything that I wished for...and then it was over and I was left with a bunch of unanswered questions, our great crew torn apart after everything they went through ...nope, no spoilers here...you have to find out yourself what happened...and I just sat back and thought something intelligent like..."Huh?"

All those wonderful questions about the main villain and his role, about Rory, about Wild and those that are out to kill her and who already killed her brother and then it turns out that these first trilogy doesn't even answer these questions but solves a problem that feels a bit, well, constructed. Yes, I can see why they introduced these characters but it feels as if everything is stretched faaaaaaaar.....just to fill these books. I can't find anything about the number of trilogies that they plan to add but I must admit that I won't read them, at least not until they are done with the whole series. This is frustrating. There is so much potential but at the moment it feels as if there are too many plots and none of them is really fleshed out.
The blurbs of books 1 and 2 mention that these books end on a cliffhanger, I was fine with that as the third book was already out and I thought that that would give me all the answers. Well, it didn't.  And I really don't know how I feel about that. I had a hard time deciding how to rate this book. It is a very weak 3.5 star-read now ...



~3.5~
 

1 comment:

Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://cupofteaandbook.blogspot.de/p/datenschutzerklarung.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google (https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=de).