Je suis Charlie

Je suis Charlie

Monday 10 June 2019

Guarding the Billionaire (Justin Trainer #1) by Jane Harvey-Berrick






"Close protection, bodyguards, we’re deeply misunderstood.
We’re not unthinking, uncaring masses of muscle and testosterone, we have feelings, too.
I’m a guy totally in touch with my emotions: I fucking hate my ex-wife."


*** 
 
It's a black comedy, no wait, a romcom ... um ... a thriller, maybe suspense, and erotic with a bit of BDSM and a super hot bodyguard looking after his billionaire boss.

It's definitely not all black and white...


 ***

I've read several books by Jane Harvey-Berrick up to now but I never know what exactly to expect. In this case, I had a bit of a hard time with our hero's boss and his sexuality or rather the ways he is living his sexuality. Despite the fact that we learn a lot about the billionaire's sexuality and his preferences, he stays a bit vague, a bit flat. We know that he may be bi or asexual or ...whatever but we definitely know that he is deeply troubled.

I must admit that I don't like all this BDSM stuff and all that (I hadn't realized that there would be elements of that in the story even though we just hear about it as something that happens in the background) but in this case, my problems stemmed from the fact that Anderson, our billionaire boss, is deeply troubled and doesn't seem to be able to deal with his own lifestyle - or his other problems. He seems to be nice but... And he is not the only one who is messed up and the more we learn about that, the more I was upset. Buuuut- back to our hero and lets finally get to our heroine as well.
Justin Trainer, ex-military, now bodyguard, has a lot of baggage with his wife getting a divorce and keeping him from his daughter when he is also dealing with all the - let's say...interesting...aspects of Anderson's life while trying to protect him. I must also admit that I was almost a bit astonished when I realized that there is a heroine who will very soon become an important part of Trainer's life because I wasn't sure when I read the blurb where his personal interests would lie. Those two though, they are sweet and I just love to see them together and I was so worried when things went south and ...well.

This was a book that shocked me, that also annoyed me, that made me laugh and when I turned the last page - I should have known better, I should have known that she'd do it again...and now I have to wait for the next book to find out how things go on. Did I mention that I hate cliffhangers? *sigh* I do. And I am waiting not so patiently now....
On the whole this book was completely different from what I expected and I had a bit of a hard time to get into it at the beginning but in the end, Jane Harvey-Berrick did her magic again and I really enjoyed this book.

 

"I’m contemplating the meaning of life. Philosophical questions. You know, deep shit that you only find at the bottom of a cold bottle of Bud."

 Curious? 
 Want to learn more? 



EXTRACT
 
There’s a certain technique to handling a naked girl—and I mean that in a strictly professional way.

This one looks about sixteen and she wasn’t expecting to see me. Probably because she’s hiding in the closet of Russell Vassal, lead singer of chart-topping boyband Rock Boys.

You’ve never heard of them? Yeah, well, count yourself lucky. I hadn’t heard of them either until I joined their world tour a month ago.

I grab a quilt off the bed, bundle her up and hand her off to a female security officer, hoping that when the kid sees her idols aren’t as squeaky clean as she thought, she’s not traumatized.
But at least she won’t lose her virginity tonight, because it’s my guess that’s what she’s offering. Jeez, she looks so young.

The blond kid, the drummer, is snorting coke off a pair of tits belonging to a red-haired groupie when my phone rings.

I see my wife’s name and my sphincter tightens. Against my better judgement, I answer.

I’m working, Carla.”

I want a divorce.”

I thought you’d never ask.”

Asshole.”

Bitch.”

These days, it’s what passes for a conversation with my wife of eleven years.

She takes a deep breath and I can hear the venom in her voice.

And I’m going for full custody of Lilly. It’s not like you ever see her anyway.”

The call drops and just like that, my evening is officially fucked.

Then the drummer, Derrick, comes in his pants while motorboarding Colombian marching powder.

Sighing, I signal one of the other bodyguards to take him to the bathroom and clean him up, or at least get the evidence out of sight. I’ve already confiscated every cell phone in the room, but I can’t afford to be too careful. There’s money in celebs making asses of themselves, and the person who has the evidence is gonna make some serious moolah.

I’m paid the big bucks to stop that from happening.

Milton, a heavyweight dude covered with tattoos and a scar down one cheek, throws me an annoyed look as he walks toward me, but he doesn’t argue. Instead, he grabs the kid by his collar and manhandles him out of the room.

The groupie stares at me with huge brown eyes, the pupils shrunk to pinpoints. She strokes her tits and offers them up to me, her head cocked on one side.

What, no hello?

I’m not tempted in the slightest. Sloppy seconds from a groupie who’s serviced every guy on the tour bus including Jerome the geriatric driver? No thanks.

Besides, I wasn’t lying to Carla—this is my work. Currently, I’m on tour with the hottest boy band on the planet. At least, that’s what their marketing whizz kid tells me. All I know is that each day I have to listen to their crappy pop music that makes my ears bleed, and each night I have to watch them partying it up with groupies, hookers, and assorted suppliers—meaning dealers.

Their big hit is Strolling with Rocks. No, I’m not making that up.

I’m strolling with rocks
My life full of knocks
Gonna stick that shit
In a damn big box.

Teenagers love it because it’s deep.

The world is doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://cupofteaandbook.blogspot.de/p/datenschutzerklarung.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google (https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=de).