Je suis Charlie

Je suis Charlie

Tuesday 12 December 2017

Because of Him by Terri E. Laine - audiobook -


***

First of all, I must apologize. It's been a very long time now since I have posted my last review but life and the stupid internet or rather a lack of internet due to technical problems (old cables and such annoying things) interfered. But I am back now, my internet is back and ....the reviews are back!

***

 Because of Him by Terri E. Laine

read by 

  Jason Clarke and‎ Erin Mallon


 
 ***


Blurb:

Past and present intertwine with light and dark to tell a story ...Because of Him

Something inside me fiercely craves normal.
Sheltered all my life and taught to be afraid, I want to be bold, fearless.
Up until now I've kept myself and my heart safe.
Tade Astor, a guy so hot he steals my breath away, jeopardizes it all.

He isn't the kind of guy to give up on what he wants—me.
He’s determined to prove my safe world is missing something—him.
Even though he may not be the cocky guy I assumed him to be...
He’s definitely not the guy I should give my heart to.
But each time I see him, he becomes harder to resist.
I want to be brave and give him a chance... though it might come back to haunt me.

At the heart of Because of Him is a love story. But due to certain sensitive topics, it might not be suitable for all readers.
 



I got this book as an audiobook from the author with a warning that it might not be easy to listen to for some people because due to some sensitive topics it might trigger reactions. Okay, I didn't think that that would be a problem because even though some things are really hard to read and some books I would never read because I find them too hard to stomach, on the whole, I don't have a problem with such topics. That's what I thought at least.
I had definitely underestimated the effect of an intense and well-done narration versus reading myself. Listening to a good narration, you have fewer chances of blocking unwanted images and emotions than when you are reading the text yourself.

Soooo... if certain topics could be a problem, you might want to read it first instead of listening or - the trigger warning is real, the book deals with some really hard stuff. The author kept the fine balance between telling enough to get the horror of the things done to the young girl across and keeping it vague enough that the situation and the images weren't overwhelming.  It's a very fine line but without ever belittling the horror and the pain of everything that happens and that is done to her, Terri E. Laine succeeds at writing a story that is captivating and beautiful while still showing this very dark part of the human nature and the pain and the suffering of those who are caught in it.

Right, this book was absolutely intense, like - standing in front of your supermarket, listening on and on and finally going in with red, puffy eyes and such intense. It wasn't even the hard parts that really made me cry but the beautiful and wonderful parts in between. Tade's awakening love for Reagan, Reagan, spreading her wings, defying her mother (Oh. my. ....that was really hard. You get why her mother reacts that way, at least, you think you get it and you probably do so but nevertheless, this is so hard and I was so proud when Reagan pushed and fought to rid herself of her mother's fears and worries), daring to love and to trust. Nothing is easy for them because their history isn't easy and there are always those around them that interfere and make things even harder but I love how they fight for their love and how they stand together.
Reagan frees herself and Tade, well, I think you can see him grow and become more mature. He was never a bad guy (just a wild one) but loving Reagan makes him realize what really counts and well, just read it  - or listen to it.

The story is amazing, beautiful and, yes, I have to repeat it, intense and the audiobook is really well done. A wonderful narration that makes you feel and dread and hope even more.
As I ordered the print book the moment I finished the audiobook, I think it is safe to say that I can definitely recommend this book and I am really looking forward to the next books in this series. Gavin's story is already out and will find its way on my reader very soon....and next year, well, I am so very much looking forward to that one!



★★
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://cupofteaandbook.blogspot.de/p/datenschutzerklarung.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google (https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=de).