Je suis Charlie

Je suis Charlie

Tuesday 29 May 2018

The Duke of Lies (The Untouchables #9) by Darcy Burke




Blurb:

Verity Beaumont has suffered domineering men most of her life, first with her father and then with her husband. Free from both men, she has finally found peace. Even meeting a kind and hard-working gentleman who just might be the perfect father her young son so desperately needs. But as she dares look to the future, her carefully ordered world is shattered when her dead husband returns.

Imprisoned in America during the war, Rufus Beaumont, Duke of Blackburn, wants nothing more than to return to his native England. He longs for comfort and safety away from the horrors of battle, only the life he returns to is not the life he left. He must convince his wife that their marriage is worth fighting for, that he’s not the man he was. But when the truth about what happened to him leaks out, he must prove that not everything about him, especially his love for her, is a lie.



I read and loved the other books in this series and after having met Verity in the Duke of Ruin's story where she attended....oh, well, did you read it? Otherwise, I'll better not tell more about my first meeting with Verity.
Let's just say that I met and loved her in that book and I was thrilled to find her story in this one. Okay, I wasn't thrilled when I learned more about her marriage and her life with her husband and I really feared for her, when he suddenly reappeared. What an.... yup. That one.

Verity's story had a lot of potential to go wrong or to be too predictable because with certain stories you expect certain things to happen but instead Mrs Burke led me on a merry chase. Whenever I thought that I had finally figured out what had happened and where it would lead us (apart from a happy ending, I take it that we all take that as a given, right?) in the end, something else happened. With some twists and turns and some real villains, Darcy Burke once again kept me on my toes and I couldn't stop reading.

Up to now I've read most of the books in this series and they just keep being amazing! Each couple and its story are unique and convincing, the stories simply draw you in and never fail to entertain.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://cupofteaandbook.blogspot.de/p/datenschutzerklarung.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google (https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=de).