Je suis Charlie

Je suis Charlie

Wednesday 22 November 2017

Scandalous Beat (Tempest #6) by Michelle Mankin



Okay, first I must apologize because the last weeks have been rather rough and I suffered a lot from headaches and lack of sleep so this site hasn't been as "active" as usual but...times are a-changing, fortunately.









Blurb:

A rock star. A stripper. Can a hookup lead to a happily ever after?
Juaquin Acenado.
A drummer. A rapper. A rock king.
My brother’s best friend.
Arrogant. Forbidden. Do-not-go-there-trouble.
The sexy Latino was too old for me when we first met and I was in high school. But he was my first love. I’ve never gotten over him.
Miriam Jackson.
Stripper. Exotic dancer. Her stage name is Queen.
My bandmate’s little sister.
Spicy and sweet. The spark that fires my inspiration. The rhythm to my beat.
She’s the one I imagine when I settle for the others. My ultimate fantasy. Only I can never have her.
Until I arrive in Vegas to record my solo rap album, visit a strip club, and there she is. Miriam was supposed to be in college, but she’s not. She is so not.
Sin City, a place where anything can happen, and I’m the only one in the band who knows her secret.
So why resist anymore?
Who could possibly stop me?


Juaquin and Miriam have been drawn to each other ever since she, at least, was far too young to even think of pursuing this attraction. They are torn between their feelings and the knowledge that these feelings won‘t be accepted by their friends and families, especially since Juacquin or King, as Miriam names him, is the drummer in her brother‘s band and, well, let‘s just say that Bryan, her brother tends to be a teenie tiny bit overprotective as their childhood was less than ideal.

Nevertheless Miriam dares to tell him how she feels – only to face rejection. Again. And again.
When everything else falls apart and she ends up working in Vegas on the Strip instead of studying at UCLA, those two meet again and maybe things are about to change at least if they are able to get over the rejections and insecurities of their past. When a mobster boss with a grudge is added to the mix, things get really rough…

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was well-written with an interesting and captivating plot. Many twists and turns kept me glued to my reader and when the worst happened, I was biting my nials (figuratively) and was shocked and upset and… When Miriam, Queen, slowly wins her life back and starts to confront her past, I cheered her on and was proud of her taking her life in her own hands. 
 
Sometimes, taking the first step will need a lot of courage but it will be worth it. It is never to late to confront the demons of your past and fight for a better life, a life lived according to your own wishes and your own plans. 
 
I loved to see Mike, her best friend and Juaquin care for Miriam and I loved the way all those guys stood together to help each other and those they consider family, no matter whether they are related by blodd or not. And, especially in these days, I loved to see the acceptance towards Alex and Mike as a couple as well.



★★
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://cupofteaandbook.blogspot.de/p/datenschutzerklarung.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google (https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=de).